Entering Trimester 2


I've passed through Trimester 1 with, I'd say, flying colors! This week I entered into week 14 which marks the beginning of the Second Trimester and I thought I would reflect on Trimester 1 while it's still fresh in my mind!

Symptoms: I have to say I've been really lucky with pregnancy symptoms or side effects. 
  • I haven't had any sickness. I did get nausea a couple of times after taking my prenatal vitamin in the morning without breakfast but not to the point of throwing up at all. 
  • I was very tired for a couple of weeks, but luckily that was mainly during my Christmas break from school, so I was able to get lots of rest. I've also been lucky enough to get to bed between 8:30-9:30 pretty much every night (make it a priority) so that I can get a good night sleep.
  • I have had several all day headaches though this has gotten worse in the last week so I'd put that into Trimester 2 symptoms. 
  • Acne has been worse than pre pregnancy but is still not what I would consider too bad, just more annoying! I use a great face wash, Purity by Philosophy and I've used it for years. It is the best! I also purchased a Clarisonic to help with acne. It has definitely helped and made my skin a lot softer!
  • Lower back pain has been the one constant throughout the first trimester. I've had a what feels like a bruised tailbone. This is very common from the expanding uterus and I've heard something that can help is a pregnancy body pillow! I'm dying to get one of these adorable Bump Nest Pillows! The Harper "I love you to the moon and back" pillow even goes with the idea we are thinking of for our nursery!


Weight Gain: To be honest I feel like this has not been my strength thus far. During Trimester 1, I have gained 5.6 pounds. I have not been working out like I should and I haven't been eating as healthy as I should either! I have two tools that I feel like are good motivation, but the best motivation is to have a healthy baby! I have a Fitbit Flex and Fitbit Aria, which help me keep track of how much I'm moving throughout the day and how much weight I'm gaining each day. After doing some shopping for some work pants this weekend I feel like this is an area I really need to work on from here on out! I purchased an exercise ball to start using at home and really just need to get back at the gym!

Dr. Visits: I have only had 2 doctor visits so far and at the first visit I didn't even meet with a doctor- just the nurse. I do go in for my second doctor visit this week and even though I know it will only be about a 15 minute "belly check" visit I'm still excited! I have had two lab visits- the first prenatal blood/urine tests at my initial nurse visit and the second was the first trimester screening (which took less than 5 minutes).

Must Dos: Start researching! 9 months may seem like a long time at the beginning but it isn't! For me 14 weeks is 3 1/2 months, which is like 4 1/2 months, which is HALF WAY! Can you believe that!? There is so much to figure out when having a baby, from the doctor, hospital, labor/delivery plan to nursery details and the best products for your baby! I have been scouring the Pinterest lists of best baby products and baby registries for a long time but have come to the decision to purchase a Consumer Reports online subscription. I have always trusted consumer reports and think that it will be helpful in picking out the best baby products for our family! 

Trimester One Must Haves: 


How far along: 14 weeks

Gender: unknown
Weight gain: +5.6lbs
Maternity clothes: Just purchased another pair of maternity jeans- Gap 1969 Full Panel Legging Jean in black (on sale now!)
Stretch marks: couple on hips :( Need to start using my Mustela more on a daily basis
Belly button in or out: In
Sleep: Great deep sleep lately! Going to bed around 9pm and getting up at 6am!
Best moment this week: Finally telling my work that I'm expecting and my principals and team being so excited for me!
Worst moment this week: Full day headaches Thursday and Friday!
Miss anything: Not due to pregnancy but missing having more time for myself-work is crazy right now!
Movement: Not yet.....
Cravings: Anything sweet and I've noticed I'll get something stuck in my head and hours later still be thinking about it and have to have it! Nothing crazy yet though!
Queasy or sick: Nope! 
Looking forward to: Dr. Visit on Wednesday and a 4 Day Valentine's Day Weekend!
Not looking forward to: Lots of grading to do this week!

post signature

Comments