The Necessity of Things


Something I have been pondering over in the last week is the necessity of things. You never realize what a consumer market is until you are out of one. I started thinking about this topic as I finished off a mini bottle of St. Ives Apricot Scrub. James made a joke that it shouldn't be a problem to get it here, hence the name "Saint Ives". There are plenty of saint like things here, but this scrub is not one of them. It is actually made in the US, which we didn't know until now.

There are no Targets, Walmarts, large Grocery Stores, or really any kind of large market in Ireland. They live off simple, basic necessary items. Many of the men definitely do not wear deodorant! I never realized how how many "things" I use on a daily basis, how many times I go to Target each month or even week. I am so guilty of using and purchasing so many things. Granted this is good for the economy, the more we make, the more we spend, the better the economy does! But still maybe it's time to switch the "necessary" things into more necessary things; not all the stuff but more things of importance. 

Just my thoughts for the day and I'll leave you with a few pictures from the last few days.

Cheers,
Robin (& James)


It doesn't look far, but it's really 702 feet down to those crashing waves!





Comments

  1. Robin this is so inspiring! I am feel the same way and feel so guilty as I look around my house. We have SO MUCH STUFF! We all know the Hub is in LOVE with nice shiney things as am I, but I have really been thinking about this lately and this post inspires me that much more to lessen my spending and really work on buying local goodies. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel! Let's get on this as soon as James and I get back! Farmers Market and mini markets here we come! <3

      Delete
  2. I wonder if it is possible to change our way of thinking after living the way we do for so long... Sounds like deodorant stays on the necessities list! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, mom! You have no idea how bad deodorant needs to be and should be for everyone on the necessity list! So many people over here don't use it, but smell terrible! James sat next to a girl on our last flight who wasn't wearing any and he said he had to turn his head away from her every time she moved! GROSS!

      Delete

Post a Comment